Monday 28 April 2014

Discovering London


Follow the page on Twitter here
Check out the page on Google+
 
Although I’ve been to London many times, I recently went for the first time to Canary Wharf and to see the Olympic site (as well as a small but mesmerizing trip to the British Library – just next door to Kings Cross St. Pancras – it’s absolutely astounding and I wish I’d had more time to relax and enjoy the books but the day was busy enough without getting too stuck into some beautiful literature classics (maybe I’ll save that for another time!)).


 

 

After a short ride on the tube and DLR – the impressive, driverless train – we arrived at the heart of Canary Wharf.
 I must say, the place amazed me – built around the 1980s, it inspires a futuristic type feeling as though I’ve been transported 40 years into the future as the endless glass skyscrapers towered enormously above us – it was a stark contrast to the Victorian architecture I’m so used to in London which probably made the whole place look even more extraordinary.


 A quick look around the beautiful Jubilee Place shopping centre and into the stunning Jubilee Park – velvet green carpets of grass amidst natural-looking rock water features – even some ducks to top it off in the middle of this marvellous metropolis – it felt like a mini city all on its own – forget the rest of London!

 




Cool street art too.
Finally we went to Stratford and to the beautiful Olympic Park.


 Unfortunately, I didn’t manage to get tickets to see the games themselves and until now had not really seen the site but I must say it didn’t disappoint – talk about impressive! The park itself is stunning and surprisingly quirky:
 
 Furthermore, just outside Stratford station is Westfield shopping centre – it's HUGE! I love it – especially with so many of my favourite shops that are so rare to find in other places.
 Overall, a fantastic day out and it was great to see the perhaps more modern side of London although for me I still think it will never truly replace the heritage it is so famous for.

Check out the page on Google+

No comments:

Post a Comment